Recipe by Franci Cohen
– 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
– 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
– 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
– 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
– 1/2 cup sweet potatoes, diced very small
– 3 scallions, finely sliced
– 1 tsp freshly crushed garlic
– 2 large eggs
– salt and pepper to taste
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 12 multigrain slider buns
– 2 avocados, sliced
– spicy mayonnaise
1 Start by cooking the quinoa as directed on package, substituting vegetable broth instead of water.
2 Meanwhile, in a saucepan sauté scallions 3-4 minutes until lightly brown and translucent then add in garlic.
3 Add sweet potato and sauté a few minutes more, until potatoes are tender.
4 Lastly, add chick peas and cheese and remove from stove.
5 Mash the mixture together leaving it slightly chunky. Then add the drained quinoa and breadcrumbs to mixture. Finally, add eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
6 In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
7 Form 3” patties out of mixture with your hands and place into frying pan. Cook patties 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy and lightly browned.
8 Serve on multi-grain bun with lettuce, tomato, a few slices of avocado and a drizzle of spicy mayo!
*Note: For a healthier version, wrap the sliders in iceberg lettuce!